Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Migraine and The Importance of Friendship


Chronic Migraine can suck the life and breath right out of a person.  Living with it is exhausting... that's the only way I can describe it.

What makes living with chronic Migraine, lupus, Sjogren's syndrome, dystonia and all these other comorbidities easier?  People who love you.

Today I am so thankful for the friends I have, those who have stuck by me through the best times when I tend to be overly enthusiastic and polly-anna cheerful... and the worst times, when I tend to close myself off in favor of disappearing into a pit of selfishness and despair.  The ones who listen when I blabber on and on, and are there to lift me up when I need it.  These are the same people who kick me in the tushy when I need it too.  

Good friends are like that - we can count on them, and they can count on us.  

         Photo copyright 2011 Ellen Schnakenberg - Tyki the Havanese

I can only hope I have been a good friend to those I feel close to.  To you.  I do try very hard. My heart goes with you wherever you are. 

So today, I am telling my friends "I LOVE YOU!"  If I could shout it from a rooftop I would.  This is my rooftop today.  

Do me a favor... place your right hand on your left shoulder and hold it there.  Place your left hand on your right shoulder.  Now close your eyes, take a slow cleansing breath, and squeeze gently.  This is a hug, from me to you.

I may not talk to you every day, or even every week or every month.  That's okay because I know that true friendships can endure the test of time and distance.  WE endure the test of time and distance... and chronic illness.

 

Live your best life,
Ellen Schnakenberg
~patient educator and advocate

No comments: