Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fortune Cookies for Health Activism

This month's blog carnival was SO tough for me!  3 fortune cookies... a person could go anywhere with that!  There are fortune cookies with words of things foretold.  There are cookies with magical mysterious numbers.  Then there are cookies containing tasty tidbits of wisdom along with the sweet crisp cookie.

I have sayings that are repeated in our household and on our farm almost daily.  My family calls them "Ellen-isms" or "Mom-isms".  They are just as true for Health Activists as they are for my family and my students.  I'll share some of my top three below:

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"  As Health Activists and leaders we can choose to run our communities however we wish.  We can write what we want, say what we want how we want to say it.  There is nobody to stop us.  In fact, no matter how we choose to deal with community members and educational topics, there will be someone who will agree with us.  The wise Health Activist chooses to do what is right, taking into consideration these things and more:  Respect, honor, patience, compassion, empathy, fairness.

Ask yourself, "Is it workin' for ya?" If the answer is "no", then change something!  Don't get frustrated - Health Activists keep a close eye to their successes and failures. They constantly are looking for ways to improve what they're doing.  They work hard to get better with each thing they do.  They acknowledge that, as social media changes, so must the Health Activist change and grow.  A wise Health Activist doesn't get hung up on what worked last week or month, but always strives to be better than he/she was a week before.

"No matter how flat you make a pancake, it's still got two sides"   Be thorough.  When we deal with our community members, it's vital that we remember that even when we have a particular opinion about a topic, and it is part of our jobs to express that opinion... there is always another side.  A considerate Health Activist will take that into consideration when he/she writes and deals with other patients.  I even go so far as to say that it's a good idea to present both sides when appropriate.  Moreover, if I'm writing a bit of information, I always take time out when I'm finished to play devil's advocate and say to myself "Make me a liar". 

This is my post for the January Blog Carnival.
Comment by Janeen on January 30, 2011 at 5:06pm
These are great Ellen!  Thanks so much for sharing them.  I especially like the last one.  That is so true and something that I don't remember all the time.
Comment by Jenna Visscher on February 1, 2011 at 11:20am
Hi Ellen, Great observations! I really want to make sure to think about your third idea too. Sometimes I find that my writing becomes rushed and then difficult to see with any perspective. I will keep the pancake in mind - thank you!
Jenna

No comments: