Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Understanding Health Activism is a Process... HAWMC #6

This blog challenge is to re-affirm my mission as a Health Activist.

In reality, each day affirms my mission in this job because I write and research for myself, my children and family, and those precious souls I have met online that are desperately seeking answers and support they don't know how to find. 

My 'testimony' as to why I do this can be phrased in many ways.  Today, this is how I explain it:


Each day brings something I can do to help another patient.

Each day brings something I can learn for myself.

Each day brings something new I didn't expect.  

Each day brings new friends I didn't know before.

Each day brings a challenge I must rise to face.

Each day brings gives me a reason for continuing on, even when I feel like giving up.

Each day reminds me of the reason WHY I am a Health Activist


I have done a lot of things in my time on this earth, and I felt guided to do each and every one of them.  Being a Health Activist is something I believe I was put on this earth to do.  Plain and simple. 

I gave up the idea a long time ago that I can convince someone else why I do what I do.  I believe however, that most people will eventually understand because they will eventually go online and seek the experiences or advice of another patient for a health condition - for themselves or for someone else they love or care about.  They may not understand or appreciate today, but they will likely understand later, and that's okay with me.  I think it's a process with anything new, including online patient advocacy.

Why are you a Health Activist?  Write your own blog post here or elsewhere and tell us!  Join in the HAWMC fun any time.  Jump right in where we are right now, or play catch-up with some of the other prompts.  Either way, join us for a blog post a day for the month of April...

 
Comment by Alicia C. Staley on April 7, 2011 at 2:35pm
I love this post!  You've inspired me to get back on it!  Nice work
Comment by Tiffany Peterson on April 20, 2011 at 4:35am
Love this post Ellen. This challenge had made me revisit why I started blogging to begin with!

"Being a Health Activist is something I believe I was put on this earth to do.  Plain and simple."

This is exactly how I feel today, and I don't think it will ever change! <3

No comments: