Sunday, June 24, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month Blogging Challenge #24: "Dear Genie"

AwarenessMonth2012BC2Today's prompt is:
Migraine Awareness Month Blogging Challenge #24: "Dear Genie" Put together a wish list for your life.
Dear Genie,

I know this is supposed to be a wish list for my life, but a list usually means there is more than one thing on it.  

All I want is my life back.  

I want to be able to care for and ride my horses.  I want to be the person who is always there for my family, not the one who is always letting them down.  I want to be able to go outside whenever I want without fear of an autoimmune flare or triggering a Migraine.  I want to swim in my swimming pool.  I want to be able to go fishing with my dad next year. I want to be strong and able-bodied again.  I want to work full time.  I want to be able to go to church every Sunday morning.  I want to play with friends.  I want to work in my glass studio again.  I want to finish the painting of my stallion.  I want to be able to work on the house instead of waiting for a contractor to have time to do it.  I want a garden, and to be able to put up fresh fruits and veggies like I used to.  I want to be able to mow the grass and trim the hedges.  I want to fix fence and muck stalls.  I want to sit with my face to the sun and not worry.  I want to exercise freely.  I want to eat food out of a box or bag.  I want to go to restaurants without asking of something special.  I want to enjoy a wine cooler again, or Bailey's over ice cream.  I want to be able to put ice in my soda.  I want to be able to leave my house without having to know where the nearest bathroom is.  I want to be spontaneous like we used to.  I want to live my days without constant pain.

 
I want all these things, but I want the experience of what I have overcome and lived through.  I want  to keep the friendships I have made and continue to help people.  I want to play a part in something fabulous that will change the way society views Migraine.  I want to talk to legislators and make them understand the message that Migraine is worth their time and worth funding. I want to say something that will end all the suicides due to Migraine and chronic pain issues. 

So Genie o' the lamp... can you help me?  Can you give me the instructions and the strength to do it myself? 

Until you make up your mind, I'm still gonna keep trying to live my best life.  The one I've been living all these years once it changed.  

I will still see the sights from my window and marvel at them.  I will still be amazed at the first nickers of a newborn foal to its dam.  I will still go outside in the dark and look at the stars and dream of fireflies.  And in my dreams, I will ride a white mare to the top of a hill, where I raise my hand in triumph.  Because Migraine fights with me, and it wins battles, but I am winning the war.

National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger’s Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.
To help raise awareness about Migraine, please Tweet this post with the hash tags #NMAM and #NMAMBC and share it on your Facebook page. Thank you!

No comments: