Sunday, June 2, 2013

Alone, Lonely - Migraine Life Without my Beast

Today's Migraine and Headache Awareness Month photo prompt is Alone, Lonely... so I took a photo of what immediately comes to mind when I see those words.

The loss of my dog, Beast.



You see, my big dog is nearing the end of her life.  She has pancreatitis and is in the mid-stages of liver and kidney failure.  She has rheumatoid arthritis, bad hips and a bad back that hurts her so badly she can hardly walk.  The pain meds we have to give her to keep her moving are also destroying her organs.  She has dementia and is about 75% incontinent.

And, I can't help but add, her farts are so potent even she leaves the room when she toots!

She is 15 years old.

Beast never leaves my side unless she is forced.  She is uncomfortable having me out of her site, and I am so used to her being with me, that I depend on her to tell me whenever anything is going on around the house... despite the fact that she is also about half deaf and her eyesight is also failing.  I have other dogs, but they wander the house occasionally leaving me alone with my work.

The dog bed in the photo actually belongs to one of my little dogs, but if Beast ever finds it empty, she twirls herself around and plops onto it, pretending to be one of the little guys.  She looks embarrassed that she barely half fits, and seems annoyed when we laugh at her for trying.

The day is coming that we'll lose her.  And when I see the empty doggie beds, it's going to tear my heart into little pieces...




No comments: